Monday 8 August 2016

A self-conscious sports freak

I have always been enthusiastic about sports – be it playing or observing. Growing up I was always one of the boys. I would rather play basketball with the boys than sit and gossip with the girls. I was always the sneaker girl rather than the high-heels petite damsel in distress. I have been swimming since I was 8 years old. I’ve done rafting, parasailing, paragliding, tennis, basketball, horse-riding and even a mudslinging football game in the rains. Even on the ship, whichever ocean, sea or strait we were sailing on, I would be down at 1700 hours and would do a brisk walk for 45 mins to an hour. Post dinner, would usually be table tennis. But my greatest achievements have come from running. Post two pregnancies, I wanted to get back into shape and started with brisk walks of 45 minutes. Swimming and running are on top of my list for either training, or losing weight or for just kicking ass on a bad day !

Despite being enthusiastic about sports, I never participated in anything during school or college.. I have a severe problem - stage phobia. I get uncomfortable when I feel people have their eyes on me. Till today, I cannot eat a meal alone at a food court or even at Mcd's. I am my most creative and happiest, when no one watches me. I found that refuge in walking and running. I walk alone and I have my reasons for it. For me, it’s like going into a trance. I am oblivious to everyone and everything except my music. I love to turn up the volume and block out everything. When I signed up for my first run - the ADHM 2013 ( Airtel Delhi Half Marathon ), I remember getting up and getting ready but then I froze. I felt that everyone would be watching me. I had no idea what to expect and I was not even trained. I did not go that year and for the first time I felt I had let down myself. It was then that I got a bit serious towards training and went in May 2014 to Banglore for the TCS World 10K - my first event. I got a taste and feel of the event... How everyone is oblivious to me also !!!! Which worked very well for me. 

I have taken part in many running events since then with intermittent breaks. I love going for them. I am one amongst the crowd and even if I know many people at event, I go, I run, I get my medal and I drive back home. It's very rare to see many pictures of me at an event because I don't go in a group, no group selfies and no running group that I am associated with. I am trying to change this little by little though it's not easy. Swimming again gives me this ' being alone in the crowd ' kind of feeling. I am a water baby .. leave me in a pool for ages and I will be happiest ( throw in some beers as well !!!!).  I tried a new thing in Goa this year - swimming in the sea and I loved it. 

Sports is not just something I watch on TV or play every now and then. Sports is a life style I have. It's a part of my day. Be it swimming or running or gymming I need something to do everyday. The days I don't run or walk I feel every joint aching, every muscle sore and you will not even believe just how irritable I can be !!!!!!!  It helps me breathe!!! It helps me live !!!


No comments:

Post a Comment