Wednesday 3 August 2016

To imagine a life without music …


To know me, is to know that music is woven into my very existence. I cannot imagine a moment of life without music. My taste in music is eclectic – ranging from rock, pop, classics, Hindi, EDM ..I can literally listen to anything and any artist – The Eagles, Dire Straits, Bryan Adams, Taylor Swift, Louis Armstrong, Frank Sinatra, Katy Perry, Justin Bieber, Calvin Harris…whew ! The list is exhaustive. There are very few moments in the day when I am without music. There are some songs which can forever be on repeat – Hotel California by The Eagles, Sultans of Swing by Dire Straits, Summer of ’69 by Bryan Adams and of course, God himself, Michael Jackson. Of course these are like the cherries on the cake and believe me, that cake is HUGE !!! I am not the kinds who likes to watch a movie during a flight, unless there’s one from my own personal top 100 movies of all times …I prefer to put on the headphones and switch on the music. Of course, one is spoilt for choice on a good airlines with their playlist. Most airlines have an option to create their own playlist. I painstakingly hunt through all of them and compile my own countdown.

My mood is always reflected in the music that I play. For workouts/ running it will always be fast and thumping -EDM being a personal favourite. While driving, it could be just about anything. For an evening at home, when the kids and me have moments of peace, I love to switch on rock. I have lost track of the number of times I have fallen asleep listening to Mozart, Vivaldi and Beethoven and trust me, I have never slept better. In fact, when my daughter was born her doctor used to play music in the nursery as she said it helps in the development of the brain. So once she got back home, even then, we would continue this.

One of the highlights of my travel through the Bosphorus in Istanbul, was listening to the music playing at 4 a.m. in the cafes.. We were sailing via the Bosphorus to enter the Black Sea, heading to Yuhzny, Ukraine. I was up at 03:30 a.m. to make sure I didn’t miss a minute of the beautiful transit. It still remains as one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen ! I distinctly remember seeing few cafes full of life and laughter ( yes you are so close to the city that one can actually read the car number plates and hear loud laughter ) and the music playing. What a serene moment that was ..starry skies, moonlight, cafes and music…

Anyone closely associated with me knows that for me God exists in the form of Michael Jackson. I literally worshiped the ground he walked on. My house doesn’t have paintings hanging. What adorn the walls are a framed cushion cover with a Michael Jackson autograph and huge poster of the ‘Moonwalk’. The sound levels go up many decibels’ when Beat It or Billie Jean come on, his concerts are recorded and watched over and over again when there is nothing else to watch and MJ is the common bonding factor between me and my brother.  For me there is no greater entertainer, dancer, musician or a person who can create the kind of mass hysteria that MJ did. Elvis does come close, though ! Thankfully I never attended any of his concerts… I see myself as one of those many girls who fainted and had to be carried out !!!!!!!!


Through all my life – whether trying to clear the maths exam or getting over the pain of losing someone, I have always had my music close. From my Walkman to my CD player to the Ipod to 600 songs on my phone, I am never more than a touch away from it. Taylor Swift echoes my sentiments perfectly “People haven’t always been there for me but music always has.”

No comments:

Post a Comment