Thursday 18 August 2016

Hyderabad calling ...travelling for the love of running


Recently, someone mentioned on the social networking platform if I was running out of ideas to write about. It’s not easy to be constantly writing about something, no matter how much I may like it. A day has multiple variations and priorities, almost like being caught between the devil and the deep blue sea.In the midst of juggling between home - work balance, the running season is about to kick start in Delhi/NCR. One corner of the white board on my office desk is lined up with the list of events I have registered for. The one coming up in two weeks, is the Airtel Hyderabad Half Marathon on the 27-28 August weekend.

The Airtel Hyderabad Half Marathon holds a special memory for me. It was where I completed my first Half Marathon in 2014. I had never been to Hyderabad but the adventurous side of me took over and I booked my flights, stay and off I went. From whatever little I saw of Hyderabad, it seemed a lovely city. Sometimes, travelling for a run, is similar to travelling for a business meeting. One reaches a day before, usually to go to the expo to collect the bib, mingle around if you know people and then rest up for the run the next day. Sightseeing or gorging on local cuisines is not quite on the agenda. 

In 2014, I was new to running and I went and simply collected my bib. I knew Arun Bhardwaj was doing 24 hours on the treadmill there, so I made sure that I went up and met him. Till before the Mashobra run in June 2014, I didn't know who Arun Bhardwaj was. It was there that we were introduced and I got to know a little more about him and his phenomenal achivements.Till today, I am eternally grateful to Arun, for walking and talking the gruelling last 7-10 kms of the killer Mashobra trail with me. We trudged along slowly, talking about life, running and the universe interspersed with stretches for the knee which refused to walk with me. We kept it touch and it was natural to go meet him. 

Hyderabad 2014 was a good run; I felt good the whole way of those 21.097 kms. It is called the toughest city Marathon and there is no doubt why. The flyovers are long and long and still longer and with no shade throughout the way coupled with the killing humidity, it's not an easy run to do. I walked-ran-walked-ran and finished the run. The race takes you along the arteries of Hyderabad and the atmosphere is simply fantastic. The crowd is cheery, loud and everything is wonderfully organized. 

Coach Ravinder Singh once mentioned in a post that it's easy to do the 21kms of a half; it's the .097 which is the toughest and I couldn't agree more. With every reserve I finished the Hyderabad HM and what a delight it was to see Arun at the finish line. The high five at the finish with him and the medal, are moments to treasure for a lifetime.

I am walking and running at least 4 - 5 kms a day with the usual stretches. With the humidity peaking, energy levels are down with excessive sweating. I am also enjoying the feel of the Ascis. It has been money well spent. My feet don't feel fatigued and even throughout the walk it's quite a nice feeling in them. 

Runners are a crazy lot. We travel far and wide, over and across to take part in a run. Running and travelling become so integrated for us that sometimes it's hard to differentiate between the two. But then, what better vacation for me than to pack my bags, wear my sneakers and put on my headphones and catch up on reading while on the move. It’s like the genie giving me all my wishes together. 

Hyderabad is calling once again.... I am hoping it's a good run with some sightseeing or local biryani mixed in this time.  

1 comment: