Monday 8 August 2016

Of Pb’s and Tom-Tom’s – I have neither ( yet !!!!)


A common heard line in the running fraternity is “What’s your PB ? “ Now to those not much into running, PB means personal best – your personal best time of completing a run whether a full, half, 10k or 5K.  Having done about 8 half marathon’s, 2 trail runs and 3 10 kms run’s, I still don’t have a PB. Now these days that’s the closest I can get to committing sacrilege. Why ? Because, I don’t run keeping a tab on the time. When I go for an event, I have one target – to finish the run. Run if I can, walk if I have to and crawl and limp if I must .. but finish it. It’s like my conquering my own Everest – again and again ! And there is no better feeling each time. 

I started running to lose weight and get fitter. I look better at my age and with two kids, than most women I know. I love the fact that I am physically active and agile. I would rather be sun-tanned running and swimming than caught dead wearing make-up. Of course, each to his own and what works for some doesn’t work for me. When I go for a walk or run, I do switch on my fitness app to know my pace of walking /running or distance covered and in what time. When I go for an event, I don’t. I go there to enjoy myself.  The only thing I observe is the km markers laid out across the track to know how much I have done and how much more to go. 

I don’t even have a smart watch – there are many brands in the market but I wear my basic watch and run which just tells me the time. Of course, I do my have phone with the music plugged in and for the customary selfie after finishing the run. But that’s about it. Till 15 days back, I wore my every sneakers and ran. I gathered my courage and bought myself a pair of Asics to run as an investment to avoid injuries while running. Of course, the run and the feel of using an Asics is very different and I feel it’s money well spent.  

When running for Pb’s with all the latest gadgets and gizmo’s we forget one basic thing – to enjoy the simple joy of running. Recently at the Mashobra Ultra, while trekking up the trail, I saw a fellow runner collapsed due to severe cramps. A few sips of water and stretches, he decided he wanted to continue.  Now anyone who has done Mashobra,  knows that the trail as lovely as it is downhill till the waterfall at Moolkoti, it is a killer uphill. We walked and talked, slowly without a rush. All the time the gentleman telling me, ‘mam, please carry on …you will ruin your time.. I will manage. ‘ Now, how can you leave someone knowing they aren’t ok …without nothing beyond for miles, with no one behind for kilometres. We trekked along till water station and a little beyond when finally he decided ( and good for him too!) that he would not carry on.  He reached base camp and recovered well and I met him on the way back, heading back to Shimla. He sent me a lovely message after that full of gratitude and kindness. Now isn’t that worth so much than a personal best time !!!!

How about forgetting about Pb’s for one run ? How about switching off the smart watches for a run ? In the end, no one will remember your times other than you. What people will remember is your act of kindness, of giving up your goal to help someone achieve theirs. That said, I am working towards my PB and someday a smartwatch as well .. after all, there’s no harm being a little selfish. 

No comments:

Post a Comment